AI Apprenticeship ProgrammeGrowing our own timber
About the AI Apprenticeship Programme (AIAP)
The 1st TechSkills Accelerator (TeSA) company-led training programme in Artificial Intelligence (AI) . TeSA is an initiative of SkillsFuture.
AIAP is a 9 month full-time structured training programme comprising:
- 3 months of AI coursework consisting of classrooms, online, mini-projects, and
- 6 months of on-the-job training on a real-world AI problem
Apprentices will be awarded a stipend of between SGD$2,000 – $3,500/month for the duration of the program (9-months).
The AIAP programme is designed by industry practitioners with a focus on the following key aspects of an AI/machine learning system:
- Data collection, cleansing and feature engineering
- Selection, training and tuning of machine learning and deep learning algorithms
- Designing, implementing and managing a High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure to build Reproducible AI workflows
Apprentices will be mentored by experienced AI, Big Data and High Performance Computing (HPC) professionals with more than 50 years of combined experience!
Apprentices will benefit from a range of carefully curated content, from in-house materials and tutorials from technology partners to lessons expert practitioners have made freely-available. Do expect frequent updates to the course material as the field of Artificial Intelligence evolves.
Learning is self-directed. Every week, apprentices will tackle individual assignments, returning to class for extensive discussions with mentors and field experts.
We tailor discussions to extend an apprentice’s knowledge, challenge them to think more deeply and also to impart the thinking and research skills essential to remaining relevant.
Potential jobs and roles to consider after training:
Who can apply?
- Singaporean professionals within first 3 years of graduation from a recognised university, with competency (intermediate level) in a programming language such as Python, R or C
- Experienced in developing data products, applications or services
- Familiar with cloud computing and existing cloud providers such as Azure, AWS, GC and
- Familiar with big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
Knowledge of any of the following will be an advantage:
- Calculus, linear algebra, probability, statistics and/or computer science concepts
- Shell scripting, virtual machines and containers
- High Performance Computing (HPC) and/or parallel filesystems
- Programming with FPGAs and/or GPUs
AI Apprenticeship Program (AIAP) FAQ
1. What is the objective of AIAP?
Employers often hesitate to hire fresh ICT professionals as they lack work experience. The AIAP is a programme for skills deepening and on-the-job-training where trainees will acquire practical skills and gain valuable industry work experience to enhance their employability for an AI job after the programme.
2. When is the program starting? And how do I enroll?
The programme is scheduled to start in April 2018. If you are interested to enroll for the programme, please visit www.aisingapore.org/aiap to sign up.
3. What are the criteria for acceptance into AIAP?
Firstly, to apply for the AI Apprenticeship Programme, you need to be:
• A Singaporean and a professional within the first 3 years of graduation from a recognized university.
• Competent in a programming language e.g. Python, R or C
After application, a candidate will be assessed and successful candidate(s) will be selected to take part in a one day Workshop/Test. If you pass the Test, a Letter of Offer will be issued to the successful candidate(s).
Prospective apprentices will have to meet the selection criteria set by AI Singapore before they are admitted into AIAP.
4. I am keen on this programme but I graduated from the university more than 3 years ago. Can I still apply for it?
Please drop us an email and we will collate the requests, analyse the demand and if there is sufficient demand (potential students and employers), we can consider a program at a later stage.
5. Do I need to have a Computing Science degree to sign up?
We welcome potential apprentices from all disciplines. The basic technical requirement is to be skilled in a programming language such as Python, Java, C/C++ or C#. It will help if you have a background in mathematics and/or statistics – but it is not a mandatory requirement.
6. What is the fee to join this training programme?
No payment is required to join the programme.
7. Do I have to give up my current job to join the training programme?
Yes. This is a full-time programme where you will study and work at an intensive pace over 9 months.
8. Will I receive any allowance or salary as an AIAP apprentice?
For all successful applicants, you will receive a monthly stipend of between SGD $2,000 – $3,500 per month for the duration of the training period.
9. How many apprentices will there be? How many will be selected?
We plan to train up to 200 apprentices over the next 3 years. The size of the initial batch will be between 20-25 apprentices and we will increase the number to 30-40 apprentices in subsequent batches.
10. What am I going to learn?
The AIAP is an on-the-job training programme comprising of classroom, online, and hands-on training. We will provide all apprentices a strong foundation in the required skills to be an Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Machine Learning (ML) engineer such as using Python for machine learning, AI and deep learning tasks, building big data pipelines, using on-premise and cloud infrastructures. An important part of this training programme is that apprentices will work on real-world AI projects guided by experienced researchers and practitioners in the field of AI, High Performance Computing, Cloud-computing and Big Data Analytics.
The program details are available at https://www.aisingapore.org/aiap.
11. Who will conduct the training?
The AI courses will be conducted by AI Singapore and its affiliated education organisations. After which, apprentices will be attached to industry projects for on-the-job training (OJT) guided by experienced researchers and practitioners in the field of AI.
12. How long are the AI courses vis-à-vis the OJT?
The entire Programme is for a period of 9 months comprising: 3 months AI courses and 6 months OJT.
13. What are the type of industry projects that I will be working on?
You will be working on industry projects from key vertical domains such as Healthcare, Transport, Fintech and others under AI Singapore’s 100 Experiments Programme.
14. Where will the trainings be held?
The trainings will be held at NUS.
15. Who is managing the AI Apprentice Programme?
AI Singapore has appointed NUS School of Continuing and Lifelong Education (SCALE) to be the programme manager for AI Apprenticeship Programme.
16. Will I be provided a laptop to work on during my training period?
You will have to bring your own laptop for the training. Any recent laptop with an INTEL i5 or i7 CPU, 8GB (16GB recommended) memory, and 250GB HDD should suffice. Windows, Mac and or Linux is fine.
17. What are the AI jobs and roles I can consider after completing the training programme?
They include AI Engineers, ML Engineers, AI Dev Ops, AI Developer, AI Consultant.
18. What if I decide to drop out of the course?
If you drop out of the course, you will have to reimburse AI Singapore the training stipends paid out to you and the fees for the AI courses.
19. Will I get some sort of certificate to show that I participated in AIAP?
Apprentices who have successfully completed the AIAP will receive a certificate from NUS SCALE.
Join the AI Apprenticeship Programme
Note that this is a competitive programme and only shortlisted candidates will be invited to join the programme.
INTAKE #1 (MAY 2018) – CLOSED
- AIAP public briefing: 9 Dec 2017 (Saturday 9am – 1030am)
- Application period: 3 Nov 2017 – 30 Dec 2017
- One day workshop/test for selected candidates: 13 Jan 2018 (Saturday 9am – 5pm)
- Letter of Offer issued to successful candidates by: week of 5th Mar 2018
- Candidates to return signed acceptance letter by: 30th Mar 2018
- Apprenticeship period: May 2018 – Jan 2019
INTAKE #2 (JAN 2019)
- Briefing: Aug’18
- Application: Aug’18 – Sep’18
- Selection Workshop/Test: Oct’18
- Letter of Offer: Nov’18
- Start: Jan’18
- Apprenticeship: Jan’19 – Sep’19
In support of:
Appointed Programme Manager: