AI Apprenticeship ProgrammeGrowing our own timber
About the AI Apprenticeship Programme (AIAP)
The 1st TechSkills Accelerator (TeSA) company-led training programme in Artificial Intelligence (AI) . TeSA is an initiative of SkillsFuture. AIAP is a 9 month full-time structured training programme comprising:
- 2 months of AI coursework consisting of classrooms, online, mini-projects, and
- 7 months of on-the-job training on a real-world AI problem
Original video found here.
Designed by industry’s practitioners
The AIAP programme is designed by industry practitioners with a focus on the following key aspects of an AI/machine learning system:
Design and Build Data Pipelines and Data Warehouses for AI Use Cases
Select, Train and Tune Machine Learning Algorithms
Deploy Machine Learning Applications in line with industry best practices.
Apprentices will be mentored by experienced AI, Big Data and High Performance Computing (HPC) professionals with more than 50 years of combined experience!
Potential jobs and roles to consider after training:
Who can apply?
- Singaporean professionals within first 3 years of graduation from a recognized university can apply to be an Apprentice
- Singaporean professionals of more than 3 years of graduation from a recognized university can apply to be a Senior Apprentice
- Competency (intermediate level) in a programming language such as Python or R
- Experienced in developing data products, applications or services
- Familiar with cloud computing and existing cloud providers such as Azure, GCP and AWS
- Familiar with big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
Knowledge of any of the following will be an advantage:
- Calculus, linear algebra, probability, statistics and/or computer science concepts
- Shell scripting, virtual machines and containers
- High Performance Computing (HPC) and/or parallel filesystems
- Programming with FPGAs and/or GPUs
- Able to implement databases and Machine Learning algorithms
- Have completed Datacamp’s ‘Data Scientist with Python‘ career track, similar courses or have equivalent work/project experience
AI Apprenticeship Program (AIAP) FAQ
1. What is the objective of AIAP? Employers often hesitate to hire fresh ICT professionals as they lack work experience. The AIAP is a programme for skills deepening and on-the-job-training where trainees will acquire practical skills and gain valuable industry work experience to enhance their employability for an AI job after the programme. 2. When is the program starting? And how do I enroll? The programme is scheduled to start in November 2018. If you are interested to enroll for the programme, please visit www.aisingapore.org/aiap to sign up. 3. What are the criteria for acceptance into AIAP? Firstly, to apply for the AI Apprenticeship Programme, you need to be:
- A Singaporean and a professional within the first 3 years of graduation (Apprentice role) or more than 3 years since graduation (Senior Apprentice role) from a recognized university.
- Competent in a programming language e.g. Python or R
- Have completed Datacamp’s ‘Data Scientist with Python‘ career track, similar courses or have equivalent work/project experience After application, a candidate will be assessed and successful candidate(s) will be selected to take part in a one day Workshop/Test. If you pass the Test, a Letter of Offer will be issued to the successful candidate(s).
Prospective apprentices will have to meet the selection criteria set by AI Singapore before they are admitted into AIAP. 4. Do I need to have a Computing Science degree to sign up? We welcome potential apprentices from all disciplines. The basic technical requirement is to be skilled in a programming language such as Python, Java, C/C++ or C#. It will help if you have a background in mathematics and/or statistics – but it is not a mandatory requirement. 5. What is the fee to join this training programme? No payment is required to join the programme. 6. Do I have to give up my current job to join the training programme? Yes. This is a full-time programme where you will study and work at an intensive pace over 9 months. 7. Will I receive any allowance or salary as an AIAP apprentice? For all successful applicants to an Apprentice (0-3 years experience), you will receive a monthly stipend of between SGD $2,000 – $3,500 per month for the duration of the training period. For all successful applicants to a Senior Apprentice (>3 years experience), you will receive a monthly stipend of between SGD $3,500 – $5,500 per month for the duration of the training period. 8. How many apprentices will there be? How many will be selected? We plan to train up to 200 apprentices over the next 3 years. The size of the initial batch will be between 20-25 apprentices and we will increase the number to 30-40 apprentices in subsequent batches. 9. What am I going to learn? The AIAP is an on-the-job training programme comprising of classroom, online, and hands-on training. We will provide all apprentices a strong foundation in the required skills to be an Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Machine Learning (ML) engineer such as using Python for machine learning, AI and deep learning tasks, building big data pipelines, using on-premise and cloud infrastructures. An important part of this training programme is that apprentices will work on real-world AI projects guided by experienced researchers and practitioners in the field of AI, High Performance Computing, Cloud-computing and Big Data Analytics. The program details are available at https://www.aisingapore.org/aiap. 10. Who will conduct the training? The AI courses will be conducted by AI Singapore and its affiliated education organisations. After which, apprentices will be attached to industry projects for on-the-job training (OJT) guided by experienced researchers and practitioners in the field of AI. 11. How long are the AI courses vis-à-vis the OJT? The entire Programme is for a period of 9 months comprising: 2 months AI courses and 7 months OJT. 12. What are the type of industry projects that I will be working on? You will be working on industry projects from key vertical domains such as Healthcare, Transport, Fintech and others under AI Singapore’s 100 Experiments Programme. 13. Where will the trainings be held? The trainings will be held at NUS. 14. Who is managing the AI Apprentice Programme? AI Singapore has appointed NUS School of Continuing and Lifelong Education (SCALE) to be the programme manager for AI Apprenticeship Programme. 15. Will I be provided a laptop to work on during my training period? You will have to bring your own laptop for the training. Any recent laptop with an INTEL i5 or i7 CPU, 8GB (16GB recommended) memory, and 250GB HDD should suffice. Windows, Mac and or Linux is fine. 16. What are the AI jobs and roles I can consider after completing the training programme? They include AI Engineers, ML Engineers, AI Dev Ops, AI Developer, AI Consultant. 17. What if I decide to drop out of the course? If you drop out of the course, you will have to reimburse AI Singapore the training stipends paid out to you and the fees for the AI courses. 18. Will I get some sort of certificate to show that I participated in AIAP? Apprentices who have successfully completed the AIAP will receive a certificate from NUS SCALE.
Join the AI Apprenticeship Programme
Note: Only a limited number of candidates can qualify for this programme hence the pre-qualification criteria is very stringent. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be invited to join the programme.
Batch #3 (May 2019)
- Application Open: Dec’19
- AIAP Public Briefing: Mid Jan’19
- Application Deadline: Mid – late Jan 19
- Take Home Assignment: Late Jan’19 – Early Feb’19
- Invitation to Workshop for Shortlisted Candidates: Feb ’19
- Selection Workshop/Test for Shortlisted Candidates: Feb – March ’19
- Letter of Offer Issued: March ’19
- Acceptance of Offer: March ’19
- Start of Apprenticeship: May ’19
- Apprenticeship Period: May’19 – Jan’20
Application for Batch #3 will open on Dec 2018.
In support of:
Appointed Programme Manager: